Friday, August 13, 2010

Countdown to School: Day 18

We bought school supplies for our countdown activity today.

And then I cried.

Total expensive-ness!

The list this year:

2 boxes pencils
1 box Crayola crayons
1 box colored pencils
2 rectangular rulers
1 12" plastic ruler
2 bottles liquid glue
3 plastic, pronged folders
4 packages wet wipes
3 large bottles hand sanitizer
3 Intermediate composition notebooks (no spiral)
2 Primary composition notebooks (no spiral)
1 box thick markers
3 boxes tissue
1 box Ziploc sandwich bags
2 boxes Ziploc gallon bags
1 box Ziploc quart bags
2 rolls paper towels
5 glue sticks
3 containers Clorox wipes
1 package thick Expo dry erase markers

The problem isn't the crayons and pencils and folders... you know, stuff essential for school. Those go on sale and I got pretty good deals. It's all of the other stuff that kills me.


It makes me want to scream, "I went to school without Clorox disinfecting wipes or hand sanitizer! I got the occasional cold and I lived!"


We let Adam buy a new lunchbox, because his was trashed (he went with Mario). His backpack from first grade was perfectly fine (though he did do his best to try and break it beforehand), so I didn't get him a new one.

I'm so mean!

This year I've decided that I'm going to be super-smart. I'm printing out Grace's kindergarten list (I know, I could cry) and Adam's 3rd grade list (seriously?) and I'm going to snatch up supplies when they go crazy-clearanced so that the stores can put out Halloween stuff, and stash it for next year.

It seems like a good idea to me.

That is until I go to find the stash of school supplies that I've put in a totally safe location so that the kids can't find them and I can't find it next year.

Not that that's happened before or anything. ;)

1 comment:

Tiffin said...

Back to school is CRAZY expensive!!! The thing that kills me as that we are still in the younger grades. How much more expensive does it get as they get older...