Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Heart Vegas


The last time we went to Phoenix, I realized something:

I like Las Vegas!

I really, really like Las Vegas!

So do millions of people in the world. However, our reasons probably aren't the same. ;)

Seriously, I spent the first year crying about how much I hated this place. It's been an eye-opener for me; I hated it before I gave it a chance. There can be beauty and joy found everywhere... sometimes you just have to be open to look for it.

The things I love aren't "just" for Las Vegas, but it's definitely the things that I love the most about our town:

1) There is always something fun (and cheap!) to do. Always.

2) The parks are great! We have a goal to go to every park in Las Vegas before we leave. It's fun exploring new ones. The parks are great, we love the splash pads, and all of the fun features that the parks offer. From swans to frisbee golf to turtles to those crazy climbing rope structures... the parks here have it all and we love it!

3) The community centers rock. The classes are inexpensive and fun. The instructors are great. And the open gym is a way fun way to spend time as a family. Las Vegas has community centers everywhere (there are 5 within 7 miles of our home). We also love all of the free programs they do!

4) It's beautiful. Not in the same way that Flagstaff was, but there is beauty in the red rocks, the stark mountains against the bright blue sky, and the sunsets. Sometimes when we drive up by the temple at night, and get a whole view of the city and the stars, it's just breathtaking. Beauty where you least expect it.

5) The breeze (okay, wind). It's hot here, but there is ALWAYS a breeze, and it takes the edge off of the heat. I don't even mind it (too much) when it's crazy windy!

6) The people. My sister-in-law told me when we moved here that people were really friendly, because most people migrate here from other cities, and everyone's looking for a friend. It's true. I am surrounded by good friends, from Adam's school, our ward, Mike's work, and our neighbors. People who look out for me, help me, and care about my family. When I am in a grocery store I always have at least one good conversation with a total stranger every time. Sweet, little old men who tell me how cute my kids are or other moms, who invite me to play groups with them. And I am constantly offered service from random strangers. A door held open, someone carrying Josh or pushing Grace on the swings.

7) Our ward. I think what I love about it so much is that there are no cliques. I am comfortable holding a conversation or sitting by anyone. I could call on any one for help if I needed it, and they would be there. I was overwhelmed when I had Josh by all of the offers. Our ward has truly become our family. When we moved in, we felt such an outpouring of love. And that love that we have felt (and the love that we have) has only grown through our callings and in the ward changes. I am going to have a serious time leaving someday.

8) The temple. I love the Las Vegas temple! It's so beautiful. We love walking the grounds as a family, and inside it's even better.

9) Ghetto life is exciting. I have experienced SWAT teams barreling through our lane on the road twice. Witnessed a bomb robot scoping out a mysterious package in a Walgreens by Mike's work. Helicopters looking for the bad guys in our hood at least once a week. And our recent experience with the shooting. It's a little scary, but it's never dull around here.

10) Adam's school. The school Adam is assigned to is awful. Over-run with gangs, hasn't met requirements in the past 3 years, violent. I was going to homeschool him, when I felt prompted to check out a charter school. We fell in love. It's project-based, and through making projects/presentations, he has grown SO much! His school's charter limits class sizes to 22 students (which is so much better than the 35-40 other schools have here). And the personalized math/reading classes have helped him to be able to learn so much! Plus, it's a good, safe environment, and he's had a wonderful learning experience there. I adore his school!!!

11) It's a 24-hour-a-day kinda town. I love that I can get anything I need to at any time of day.

12) The celebrity factor. I'm not one to get all excited about celebrities... I don't watch Extra, read People magazine, or care who's dating who. However, Las Vegas is a celebrity hot spot, and the kids and I have fun imagining just who is behind those dark tinted limos we see zipping around town.

13) The food. Yeah, we don't eat out anymore. But, the fact that we could get ANY type of food here... from Emeril's to Ethiopian cuisine, makes it so fun. Oh, and the Serendipity that they opened last year on the strip? Home of the famous Frrrozen Hot Chocolate? Yeah, I'm going to steal Mike away someday and break our eating out rule and get us one of those to share.

14) Local's discounts on the shows and attractions. Yeah, I haven't actually used this yet. BUT, it's been on my to-do list since the 8th grade to see The Phantom of the Opera, and I'm going to have to take advantage of our discount one of these days and check it off my to-do list at The Venetian.

I used to count down our days until Mike had worked at D.I. for two years, and we could leave. Now, I have such mixed feelings about it. When we are in Phoenix, I am so happy because we love our family and it would be so great to live by them! And then when we are here, and I think about our ward and Adam's school and our friends, and I realize that I love living here, too!

I'm not sure what our future holds (other than right now I know we need to be in Las Vegas still). But, whether we move in the future (or if we stay), I've learned that I can love wherever I live. That there are wonderful people in every city. Friends to be made, experiences to be had, fun to be shared.

It's just all about the attitude.

;)

2 comments:

Grammy Suzzy said...

You know, I do see where you are coming from, though we all here miss you like crazy!!! The parks are so nice. Nate and I noticed there is nothing here like that! I have only been to a couple there (Treeline Park...love it! and that rubberized running track around the whole thing, and a sidewalk next to it...I felt like a real runner when I was trying to keep up with Adam on his bike!) There is like nothing free here to see or do! And your ward...sweetheart...to be in a ward like that is worth everything in the world! I wish I felt like that! The wind...may be fine in the summer, but I tell you, in December, when your ol' mom is a freezin' and trying to get car seats buckled, I'm not such a fan!!! ;)

Amber said...

Fun to hear a little bit about vegas--and why you moved there--I want to hear more about your time commitment and when it is up so I can wait anxiously to hear what you decide to do :) Even the rez is growing on me and we loved parts about boston and I still miss it (though too bad most of our friends have moved-which takes most of the fun out of it ;)