Saturday, December 27, 2008

Stingy Santa

Adam asked for a dog this year. A real, live dog. I thought it was a joke; that we were clear on the whole not-having-a-dog-while-living-in-an-apartment front. And then he and Grace began talking about the dog Santa was bringing them. I sat Adam down, to talk to him about how Santa knew we couldn't have a dog, to which Adam looked at me with wise, serious eyes and said:

"If Santa is real, he will get me a dog."

I knew he was at the crossroads of wanting to believe in Santa, but doubting. I knew this was a test. Mike and I talked about sitting him down and telling him about the magic of Santa, to get out of the dog thing. But, I couldn't do it. I love the magic of Christmas, of everything that Santa represents, and needed my little baby-turning-boy to believe. Just a bit longer.

So Santa and Mrs. Claus had a little talk. We talked and talked and decided that Santa would write Adam and Grace a letter, explaining that the apartment manager just wouldn't budge, but that he knew how good that they had been, and would be giving them something else instead to care for.

On Christmas Eve, Santa got off of work early, and headed over to PetsMart to get a hamster. We talked about it. We talked about him finding a friendly one, and learning about the return policy if the hamster turned out mean, and getting the supplies.

I thought we were clear on the hamster part.

Santa can be a little stingy, however, and when he got to PetsMart and learned that pet mice are only a few dollars versus a hamster which was $20, he proudly picked out a cute, little fancy mouse and brought it back to the workshop.

Mrs. Claus almost threw up when she saw the box with 'mouse' written on it.

Mice bring up all sorts of images from Ratatouille. Of disgusting little creatures with wormy tails. Of nastiness and bacteria. And they seem smelly.

Mrs. Claus was not pleased.

Santa was in the doghouse, er, mousehouse (?) that night for seriousness.

A mouse? Eek!


But, you have never seen two happier kids than we saw on Christmas morning. Adam read the letter from Santa, then ran to the kitchen table, and is in love with JoJo, our pet mouse. He loves to hold him and feed him, and can't wait to begin training him to walk on a string (like the boy did in The Witches).


Santa Claus is pretty darn proud of himself.

And Mrs. Claus?


Turns out that mice can be irresistibly cute.

2 comments:

Grammy Suzzy said...

You made me just laugh my head off!! Oh, and I am so glad that Mrs. Claus was hesitant...at least for a little bit...After I got done screaming at the pic of my sweet, clean, precious grandson holding that rodent, I calmed down. Glad that JoJo is part of our family!

Amanda said...

I so feel your pain on the dog policy. Except mine is no dog EVER! Well, Hailey has started PRAYING for one. How do I get around that?!