Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Eve 2008

After Santa

Normally on Christmas Eve (which, incidentally, our family has never celebrated actually on Christmas Eve, due to being out of town with family) we have cheese fondue, and then a ham dinner on Christmas day.

This year, after spending $200 that week on doctor's appointments and antibiotics and eye drops for Adam, we decided to forgo the traditional (little more pricey) stuff we normally have and take it easy. I'm SO glad we did.

We had enchiladas for dinner and just snacks on Christmas day. I didn't have to focus on cooking or cleaning up. I didn't have to worry about getting dinner ready for the next day. We threw some enchiladas together that night, and had fun, and got to focus on spending time as a family and the Savior.

It was wonderful.

So, a little rundown:

The kids and I spent the morning getting the house company-clean (for Santa) and then decorated sugar cookies.

Can you guess which ones Adam decorated? Hint... they may have a few sprinkles. From all 10 bottles of sprinkles.

When Mike came home we ate our enchiladas.

I use the term 'we' loosely... Adam wouldn't eat the enchiladas. What. A . Shock.

The kids opened their traditional Christmas Eve pajamas.

Grace is speechless at being allowed to own something with the Disney Princesses on it (I have issues... don't ask). Or maybe she's singing "Fa la la la la." Not really sure.

We played Cootie as a family.

I'm really concentrating here. Cootie is such a game that requires great concentration.

We acted out the nativity and read from the Bible.

Not sure why my face is the same color as my shirt, here. Maybe I'm embarrassed. Or maybe I'm just scared of the Light Saber that Joseph is holding in order to guard baby Jesus. He likes to add his own Star Wars twist on things.

We set out cookies and milk for Santa, and 9 carrots for the reindeer, at Adam's insistence.

And then Grace ate the carrots.

We read our last stories from our countdowns and put the kids to bed.

And I know we celebrate Christmas because of the Savior. Because of His life, and the miracle of His birth.

But, this year a true miracle occurred in our house on Christmas Eve.

A miracle of which I will be speaking of for Christmases to come.

My kids went to sleep before 8:00pm.

Without a fight.

Which (Christmas or not) has never, ever, ever happened.

Amazing.

1 comment:

Grammy Suzzy said...

We never saw...did Santa bring the bike Grace wanted?