Saturday, December 13, 2008

Countdowns to Christmas

I love countdowns.

You probably hadn't guess that already. :)

To me countdowns serve the purpose of both building excitement (for me and the kids), and eliminate Adam asking 1,945 times a day when Christmas is. I also enjoy walking to our countdowns, putting my finger to my chin, and saying, "Hmmm... only _ days left. Hope Santa forgets that you hit your Grace by then." And then I cackle.

I'm mean like that.


Anyway, we've been doing 3 different countdowns to Christmas. And we're starting the 12 days of Christmas tonight.

1) Advent Calendar

I talked about this one last year. My grandma (Nano) gave us this advent calendar, just like the one that I had growing up. You place an ornament on the tree every day. It's one of my favorite decorations/belongings, because she made it and it reminds me of my own Christmases growing up.


2) The Christmas Book

This is a book (from my grandma, again) that has a scripture, a Christmas hymn/song, and a story for each day until Christmas. This has been my favorite countdown, I think. Every night we turn off all the lights (but the tree), and read and sing together.


3) Christmas Book Countdown

I wrapped 24 Christmas books (most borrowed from the library), and we've unwrapped/read one every night. Some of them have activities that go along (The Polar Express I gave them each a bell from Santa's sleigh, with The Grinch, we watched the movie, etc.). Adam and Grace have LOVED this.


I really, really want to make a box countdown like this, or some kind of cookie sheet one kind of like this. But that just might kinda get insane.

Counting down to stuff is just fun.

No comments: