Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Seven

As of this past weekend, Mike and I have been married 7 years. Seven years. That's crazy! In some ways, I'm like, "There's NO way it's been 7 years," because it's gone so fast. And then I look back at all we've done and been through, and can't believe it's only been 7 years.

Mike and I celebrated by going to see the new Indiana Jones movie and eating dinner out. We had so much fun talking about the past seven years, and what we've accomplished (and didn't accomplish) and learned.

So, I thought about it, and decided to write a list of the 7 most important things that I've learned in the past 7 years:

1) Always, always, always check for that stray red item in your whites. Because it will be inevitable that one will sneak in and turn your whites pink. Which is fine when it's your daughter's white onesies. Not so much when it's your husband's church shirt.

2) That no matter how hard life gets, no matter how debilitating a trial may be, or how much pain we may be feeling, that there is ALWAYS joy to be found in life.

3) That the best thing you can EVER do for your financial health is pay your tithing. And then, save. Even if it's only $10 a paycheck, save something.

4) That no matter how much you scrape, pour sauce on, turn over, or otherwise try to change burnt food, it will never taste good. Ever. (Sorry about all the burned meals over the years, Mike. I will continue to blame the altitude. Or the oven. Or our pans. :) )

5) That it's great to have a plan. BUT, don't be surprised when those plans change. For you. :)

6) A good sense of humor is so important. I've always loved laughing and having fun. But, having a really good sense of humor has really helped our marriage. Because sometimes when every thing's going wrong, the best thing you can do is just laugh.

7) That Heavenly Father truly loves us. That He knows us. That He has a plan for us. That He holds us in the hollow of His hand, and can carry us through the most devastating moments. I am amazed when I look back at the things we've been through, and how everything has just worked out so perfectly. I know that Heavenly Father watches over my family. We couldn't have made it through the past 7 years without Him. I'm so grateful to Him.

Mike told me that the most important thing that he's learned in our 7 years of marriage, is that everything always works out in the end. I completely agree.

I love you so much, Mike! Can't wait to see what the next 7 years holds for us!

No comments: