Monday, March 3, 2008

Reasoning with a 4-year-old

Conversation with Adam today:

Me: Adam, you know our rule is one toy out at a time. Can you please put away your race track before getting out your Transformers?
Adam: I hate that rule! Why do we have that rule?
Me: First off, don't say 'hate.' Second, we have that rule so that your toys don't get broken and our house doesn't get too messy.
Adam: Well, that's not the point.

No, I think it really IS the point. He said, "That's not the point" about 12 times today (not sure who where he even got that... do I say that???), each time making less sense than the time before.

Later on...

Me: Adam, you can't have fruit snacks before dinner.
Adam: Why?
Me: Because then you won't be hungry for more healthy things.
Adam: Well, that's not the point.

What?!? What a goof! Why do I even bother trying to reason with him. And where did he learn that phrase from???? :)

1 comment:

Ashlynn and Coleton said...

So I have been meaning to call you, but just have not gotten around to it. I am coming in town on the 15th, and would like to stopp by and see you guys. Let me know when would work for you. I am busy all day Monday, and I leave Tuesday night. So let me know when will work for yo.