Friday, March 14, 2008

Because I Have Been Given Much...

Yesterday, Mike was telling me about a man who came to Deseret Industries (D.I.) and donated a plasma, flat-screen HUGE television, that was worth over a thousand dollars. He didn't even want a receipt for tax purposes.

I was blown away. I mean, he could have easily sold it on craigslist or through the paper or whatever, and instead he chose to donate it to such an incredible organization. This kind of stuff happens all of the time, and it amazes me. Mike's constantly taking donations of Gucci/Prada/Versace shoes and purses, digital SLR cameras, jewelery, etc. Expensive items, that could have easily been sold, and instead were donated.

And it made me think about all of the stuff that I hold onto that could help someone. Like, I have this beautiful quilt that was given to us for a wedding gift. It's not big enough to use, though for our queen-sized bed, and I had hung it up for awhile when we lived in the condo in Phoenix, but haven't had enough room to do that since. So, it's sat in a nice box under my bed for about 4 years. Mike suggested we donate it. And I protested... I mean, it was a wedding gift, you know? I'm not a packrat, but I tend to hold onto stuff for sentimental reasons (i.e. that was the first toy Adam swatted at). But, when Mike told me that they send the blankets they receive to Utah for Humanitarian Aid, and I pictured a family who was in crisis or didn't have a blanket, using it, it totally changed my mind. How could I be selfish and keep a blanket under my bed for "maybe someday" if someone could be using it?

I'm totally not trying to plug D.I. (honest!). But, having Mike work there has made me really re-evaluate our things. How can I hold onto prom dresses and bridesmaid gowns, when some girl who doesn't have a lot of money, but wants to go to prom, needs one? Or all of the various baby toys that I've kept, which I really don't have room for, that a family who is struggling could use? And I have loved having the opportunity to talk to Adam, and seeing him think about others and donate toys he no longer needs.

We have been blessed with so much, and I'm so grateful for the opportunity that we have to give back just a little.

No comments: