Monday, March 10, 2008

Rant about Daylight Saving Time

Okay, so what's the deal with it? I've lived in Arizona all of my life, so I've never had to pay attention to when people switched their clocks and why. Now that we live in Las Vegas, I've had to do it twice now, and I totally hate it.

Back in October when it switched the first time, I thought it was great. I got an extra hour to get ready on a Sunday morning. Fine by me. Then, I realized how much I organize my time according to the sun. I'm constantly looking out our balcony window, and thinking, "Hmmm... sun's starting to set, must be time to make dinner," or "It looks like the sun's not competely up, so we have time to go out and play before it's too bright and need sunscreen." Does anyone else do that? So, anyways, in October, after the time changed, I suddenly realized that the sun was starting to set at 4:00 in the afternoon, and it messed me up for weeks. Very confusing.

Then yesterday, Mike reminded me about the time changing again, so I tried to get the kids to go to sleep earlier (and they ended staying up until 11:00 because they were so happy 'Daddy was home'). I set the clock ahead an hour, like I was supposed to, but our clock automatically changes on its own, so it was then ahead 2 hours, and when Mike saw that, he turned off the alarm, and we all slept in. Our ward starts at 9:00, and we ended up waking up at 8:20, and we had to be on time to church today, because Mike's co-worker's daughter was blessing her baby today and Mike wanted to be there for it. So, everyone was grumpy (and my hair looked SO great, let me tell you) when we got to church. And now my "inner-clock" is all off again... I don't know why I do things according to the sun, but I do, so we ended up not having dinner until 7:30, and the kids didn't go to bed until past 9:00. Sigh...

So, as far as I understand, the only reason that Daylight Saving Time started was for the farmer's, right? And there aren't too many farmers out there anymore, nowadays. So, WHY do we still have it? It's pointless and ridiculous and totally throws me off. So, pretty much, it should be done away with. For me. Because I do things according to "the way the sun looks out of my balcony" and not the 20 clocks I have around our apartment. Makes sense, right?

3 comments:

Ashlynn and Coleton said...

I would love to say I feel your pain, but i dont. I grew up in Oregon where we always had a daylight savings time. So i am used to it. And I am not as organized as you are so my kids sometimes have dinner at 3 or 9 just whenever I get around to it.

Grammy Suzzy said...

You know, sweetie, I have a solution...leave the dark side of daylight savings and return to the paradise of Arizona!!! hahaha! There is one good thing...we are now on the same time, so no strange calls from us Arizonans at odd times because we can't figure out what time it is there!! Love you...

Danyel said...

Ok Allison I totaly agree with you. They do need to do away with it. The only reason the have it is for the farmers and the live there dayliy schedual by the sun the way that we do. Oh well try telling Bush that. Oh and I agree with your mom. We miss you.