Thursday, March 13, 2008

Grocery Store Adventures

We got so busy today with packing and cleaning and baking cookies, that we forgot to go grocery shopping. So, I made some PB&Js for dinner (with the very last of the bread... whew!) and we went out at 6:30.

As we were walking down the stairs, Grace skipped a step and started to fall, so I grabbed her hand so she wouldn't fall down the steps. I didn't even grab it that hard, but it dislocated it. Again. This is now the 3rd time it's happened. And it's starting to really worry me. I mean, if she dislocates so easily when I'm not even grabbing her that hard, what's going to happen when she's playing soccer or something, you know? I had to pop it back in (ultra gross). After I calmed her down and massaged her arm a bit, she was fine, so we left.

At the first store, we walked past the peaches. Adam literally stopped and yelled, "What's that DELICIOUS smell?" He's never shown much interest in fruits other than apples and grapes (he's not what you'd call an adventurous eater), but I let him get one to try out. He held it carefully in his hands the entire store, smelling it. When I leaned over to smell it, he pushed me away and cried "What do you think you're doing? You're sniffing ALL of my peach smell away!"

We went on to the next store, and I went to the meat section. I wanted to try a new recipe, especially for Mike for Sunday (BBQ Beef Sandwiches) and I had to buy a roast. So, in 7 years, I've never bought beef. Ever. I don't even know why... we only use ground turkey, chicken, and occasionally, pork. I guess we're boring. I don't know. So, I kind of thought that there would be a package that said, "Roast" on it, and that I'd buy it. There wasn't. There was roast everything, and it was seriously confusing (maybe it wouldn't have been confusing to a normal person, but I had one hand holding Grace down in the cart, one hand on Adam, to stop him from 'squishing the blood' in the meat packages, and I was trying to figure this out on top of it). I knew that it was on sale, but that was about it. So, I had to go and ask the butcher. And do you know what she said, "You've never bought beef? Wow... you ARE dumb." WHAT??? She told me she was kidding, but sheesh! I felt stupid enough to be asking anyways...

At 9:00, I called it quits. At this point, Grace had (accidentally) stolen a box of Band-aids, Adam had stuck his head in a bulk brownie mix barrel and taken a bite (he thought it was a 'free sample'), and Adam had removed the bottom apple off of a pile of apples (he WAS trying to help), knocking 5 onto the floor (guess who's having homemade applesauce this week?). I couldn't take anymore.

We didn't make it to Wal-Mart, but it was already an hour past their bedtime, and we'd already gotten the essentials. So, we get to do that tomorrow morning bright and early. Yay... Nothing starts a day off like a trip to Wal-Mart.

1 comment:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Oh, I am so sorry you have to suffer so much...and all to amuse your family and friends who read of your escapades!! By the way, how did the peach taste?