Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Swim Lessons


Adam has been BEGGING to take swim lessons since last summer. All year long, he has asked if he could this summer. I looked around and signed him up at our community center and he took lessons these past two weeks. Adam did SO great! I was a little worried about him, because even though he LOVES the water and loves swimming, he tends to get really nervous and panics when his feet can't touch the ground.

However, he was like a little fish! He had a great instructor and had no problem listening to her and trusting her. He learned how to float on front/back, turn over, retrieve objects underwater, do the survival stroke, swim underwater, and the crawl.


Last Friday was his last day. After taking their test, they got to play on the slides and have fun. He had a blast! And he passed Level I Swim. Yay, Adam!


Grace did not do as well during swim lessons. Even though I was SO happy about Adam having so much fun, I dreaded going everyday and fighting her. She didn't understand why Adam could swim and she couldn't. So, our days at the pool involved:

- Grace stripping down to her underwear and running for the water the second I looked away to watch Adam
- Grace screaming, "I 5! I go to swim. Now!" Over and over.
- Grace stomping on ants and laughing as they died.
- Grace getting upset and throwing her book/toys in the water.
- Going on lots of walks around the pool.

Adam really wants to take Level II swim, but I don't know if I can handle Grace. There aren't any classes for her at the same time, and I feel bad that she has to sit in the hot sun, watching Adam have fun in the water. Frustrating.

Even though Grace didn't fare as well, I'm glad that we did it for Adam. Mike took him swimming on Saturday and he is so much more confident... he only screamed, "I'm drowning! Save me! I can't breathe!" twice this time! :) Normally he screams this whenever the water goes above his head or his feet leave the ground at all.

We're so proud of him!

1 comment:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Hooray for Adam!!! We are soooo proud of you! And I feel so sorry for Gracie...and for you!! I wish I could be there to help make her time just as fun!