Monday, July 5, 2010

You Never Forget


The last time that I rode a bicycle was in January 2004. The day before I began my first college class at NAU.

I was nervous about my first class at an actual university. So on Sunday, the day before I was to begin, I printed out my schedule and mapped out where my classes were.

I realized that I had 4 minutes to get from the Social and Behavioral Science building on the south end of campus to the temporary Communication builing on the north end of campus.

I knew I couldn't make it there in time by campus transit or by walking. So, Mike suggested I bike there. At 11:00 that night, I decided to give it a try. I hadn't ridden a bike since 10th grade... the year before my friends got cars, but thought that I could do it.

I did fine until I got to a huge mountain hill. I started to ride up and fell down. It was freezing cold. It was icy. It was snowy. I was homesick, sleep-deprived with a 6-month-old, and feeling entirely too old to be going back to school with the 18-year-olds that I would soon call friends.

Being the determined soul that I am, I sat down on the icy sidewalk and cried.

Mike offered to take me to my class every day via our car. And he did.

I spent the next 2 1/2 years walking, taking the bus, or being driven to classes.

And I haven't been on a bike since.

***

The kids and I have had a lot of fun going on bike rides every late afternoon... they ride and I chase them in the stroller. My parents thought it would be fun if I had my own bike to ride along with them, though, so this weekend they suprised me with a bike that they had fixed up for me!

I was so surprised and excited!

***

This morning we got the tires pumped up, and I hopped on. The crowd (Adam and Grace) had their doubts that I could do it.

Charming children, aren't they?

However, you never forget how to ride a bike.

And Las Vegas is free from coldy, icy, snowy streets.

And our apartment complex is free from tall mountains hills.

So, off I rode.

And this time I didn't fall off.

Or cry on the sidewalk.

***

I am so excited to have my own bike. We're going to find a little trailer to pull Josh in, and then our afternoon bike ride possibilities are endless!

We are already having lots of fun with it! Thanks, Mom and Dad!!!

PS-In two years, our ward is planning on biking from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas. I'm so in!

PPS-I need to master tall mountains (for reals) first.

No comments: