Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Good-bye, Henry Bluey (aka Dorothy)

Not the greatest picture, but the new fish were not cooperative photo subjects.

On Saturday, our fish died.

I had been expecting it for a while. Lately, he's become really lazy. And, truthfully, he's lived over a year at our house, and the fact that he's survived so many pokes, being fed strange food, and toys being dropped on him amazes me.

Unfortunately, Adam took it really, really hard.

Adam has such a tender little heart. And when he found out he cried and cried. I hugged and held him. And Grace patted him on the back, and told him, "We flush Dorothy*. It's okay. We flush her."

Which made him cry harder.

Grace and I weren't really helping him, so I did what any good mom does: handed him the cell phone and let him call Mike, family members, and friends who consoled him.

Thanks again everyone!

That night, when Mike got home, we held a little funeral for Henry/Dorothy. Adam cried buckets during the entire thing, read a poem he wrote, and made me videotape the entire thing (I will spare you having to watch a crying 6-year-old read poetry to his dead fish. Believe me, it was very sad.) Adam then took the camera, and snapped picture after picture of the actual flush. (I will spare you the pictures of the dead fish going down the toilet. Believe me, they are gross.) As he was being flushed, Adam thought he saw a fin move and began screaming, and then Grace began screaming, and I'm surprised our neighbors didn't call the police for what probably sounded like a murder happening next door.

It was a long night.

On Sunday, the kids were still both very sad. However, Mike used it as a good teaching opportunity to talk about the resurrection, and how our spirits/bodies separate when we die, and what will happen when we are resurrected someday. And I think that they both felt better, and I'm grateful for the opportunity we had to talk to them about it.

They recovered enough that on Monday, they asked for new fish. So, for FHE we went and picked out 2 new little guys: Dorothy (orange) and White Knight (white).

They are so excited for the new fish!

And I hope that they never, ever, ever die.

Which isn't likely with .27 cent fish. :)

*He was orignally named Henry Bluey, however, Grace re-named him Dorothy (like Elmo's fish) several months ago. So, he went by both names.

1 comment:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Papa and I are so happy that you have Dorothy and White Knight! We are sad that Henry/Dorothy did not live, but it is so nice to remember all the good times. Grammy remembers that there were always happy bubbles at the top of Henry's bowl. Adam and Grace, you made his life here on earth very fun and happy! Isn't it nice to have wonderful pets to love and always remember! I would love to hear your poem someday, too, Adam. I bet it was very, very special!