Thursday, August 27, 2009

"First Grade Just Isn't What I Thought It Was Going To Be"

First Day of First Grade

It's been a really hard first week of school for Adam.

He woke up this morning, dragging. I let Mike and Grace sleep in, and he and I had a long talk over breakfast.

I asked him what was wrong, and he looked at me with a sad face and said, "First grade just isn't what I thought it was going to be."

In short, first grade is hard.

He spent kindergarten in near-perfection, behavior-wise. His kindergarten teacher told me that she had never had a more responsible, compassionate, mature student. He only got in trouble once, and it was because of some behavior of other students in his group.

In first grade? He's been in trouble twice. In two days. For talking. When he shamefully told me this, I smiled. I was secretly thrilled that he had broken the rules; that my shy boy is emerging and is beginning to not stress out on being perfect and is getting sent back to the classroom for talking.

I told him that I wasn't mad at all; I don't expect a 6-year-old to not talk in class ever.

Who does?

(I mean, besides his teacher. Apparently.)

I just want him to do his best.

But he cried, because he was so embarrassed at getting in trouble.

First grade has higher expectations. More schoolwork and homework. Less time for fun and recess. More desk time and tests. Less time for creativity and talking with friends.

And it's 7 hours instead of 3.

I know he will adjust. He will get used to the new schedule, the longer hours, and the new rules.

He's a great kid, and I know he loves school and learning.

For now, though, it's been a tough week.

And I think a night of us playing hooky on the homework and having some non-school play is in order.

1 comment:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Adam, you are such a wonderful boy. The first few days of school are always the hardest! Sometimes teachers are tough because they want everyone to follow the rules and to know that the teacher is serious about the rules. And the first days of first grade are really a big change for your body because it is not used to school for so long! Just make sure you say your prayers and ask Heavenly Father to help you each day. We will remember you in our family prayers and I know it will get easier!