Saturday, July 5, 2008

Geocaching

Geochaching is probably yet another thing that everyone has already heard about, but I just found out about. Anyway, it sounds awesome. I love treasure hunts. And I really, really, really wish that I could have been an archaeologist. Not that this is really archaeology, but, the whole searching thing, you know? Yeah, I guess that doesn't make too much sense.

Anyway, if you haven't heard about it, go here. Geocaching is basically an adventure game using GPS. All over the world (I'm amazed at how many there are just 5 miles from our house... literally hundreds), people have hidden 'caches.' It could be a prize that you can take (but must replace) or a log book to write in. They are in everyday spots. You use your GPS to find the location, and use the hints and clues to find the cache. Maybe I'm just a nerd, but doesn't it sound fun? Anyway, look at the site to find out more.

We don't have a GPS, BUT we have a friend who does, and we're going to borrow his soon, and then go treasure huntin'! I'm totally psyched. We had really wanted to do it today (because Mike has the day off work), but it didn't work out with the GPS. BUT, we are definitely going to go soon, and we can't wait!

Go ahead. Make fun of us now. :)

(Oh, forgot to add this. I heard about letterboxing a few years ago-it's big in Flagstaff-but it's the same kind of thing, but done with a compass, and you just stamp the log books you find. Also very cool.)

No comments: