Thursday, February 21, 2008

What Would I Do for 20 Minutes of Peace?


Tonight, I took the kids to Petsmart. Because as far as I'm concerned, they have the best kind of pets. The kind that you don't have to feed or clean up after. That stay in their cute cages, and you admire from a distance. Not that I'm an animal-hater or anything, but I already feed and clean up after 3 people, so why add another?

But, anyways, we go to Petsmart frequently. The kids love it. And I'm not too embarrassed to go into a store twice a week and never buy anything there (okay, I am a little bit, but I can't be the only one who does this). But tonight, our visit there really got me thinking. Adam and Grace LOVE hamsters. Everytime we visit, they run over. Tonight, they both sat in front of the hamster display for 20 minutes. Grace kept screaming "jump!" "jump!", wanting the hamster to do aerobics, I guess. Adam just laughed and laughed at it, and pointed out to Grace all of the wonderful things that hamsters can do.

I mean, they did this for 20 minutes before I finally pulled them away. 20 whole minutes! And it got me thinking... what if we OWNED a hamster, and I brought it out and let them stare at it, when I needed 20 minutes to myself? Do you have any idea what I could do in 20 minutes? I could shower. Catch a quick nap. Do my hair. Make dinner. Scrapbook. Find out what's going on in the world. Fix the economy. Pack. Talk to someone on the phone without quietly screaming, "Stop sitting on your sister" 15 times. Dust my fan. Negotiate world peace. Clean out the refrigerator. Read a book with big words. Blog. Paint my nails. Listen to the radio without Adam complaining that my music isn't "awesome."

Wow! The possibilities! However, I would have to clean up and feed another member of the family in exchange for this 20 minutes of peace. Not to mention that hamsters do kind of smell.

But... seriously... for 20 minutes to myself? I think I can do it.

Now I just have to convince Mike, who isn't a huge hamster fan. We'll see. :)

5 comments:

Ashlynn and Coleton said...

You have to be careful with hamsters thay can be mean sometimes. And when you put it in one of those balls dont leave the room I killed on one time. I forgot it was in its ball and in oregon the vents are on the ground. And we rolled onto the vent and could not get off. and the vent turned on and it fried him to death. It was a sad day.

The Muhlesteins said...

It works! Honest! My mom would stick us in front of the fish tank and it would entertain us for HOURS!!! Good luck.

Grammy Suzzy said...

I think you may have a plan. A pet can teach many things to kids. However, be careful that you have a lid for your hamster enclosure. Do you remember Ethan's hamster, "Holly". She was cute, until she got out and ate holes in the carpet all over the living room. She just didn't want to be penned after tasting freedom. We finally let her make her own home outside under the rabbit cages. And make sure you get a nice hamster. Some are not too nice...(Amber got one for Nathan that was just downright mean! We had to return that one.) If you can wait till April, we have some components of a hamster home in the attic...I will have to ask Nate if it is all there!

stacey said...

Tyson is opposed to all little furry things too. I want a guinnea pig but Tyson says no. Hopefully Mike will come around and you can get your 20 minutes of peace. :)

Amanda said...

DON'T DO IT!!!! There is a reason Mike is against hamsters (probably guinea pigs, too). :)