Monday, February 25, 2008

Focus

"Each second we live is a new and unique moment of the universe, a moment that will never be again . . . And what do we teach our children? We teach them that two and two make four, and that Paris is the capital of France. When will we also teach them what they are? We should say to each of them: Do you know what you are? You are a marvel. You are unique. In all the years that have passed, there has never been another child like you. Your legs, your arms, your clever fingers, the way you move. You may become a Shakespeare, a Michaelangelo, a Beethoven. You have the capacity for anything. Yes, you are a marvel. And when you grow up, can you then harm another who is, like you, a marvel? You must work--we must all work--to make the world worthy of its children."

-Pablo Casals

Sometimes I get so caught up in making sure Adam is ready for school, that he knows his letters, is beginning to read, can write his numbers, etc., that I lose focus on just cherishing and loving him. I came across this tonight, and it's helped me to focus. Tomorrow I will play Transformers with him, play ball at the park with him, and tell him how much I love him. I will strive to help him to understand how truly incredible he is, and that his ability to add numbers or write his name is no match for his compassion, creativity, and sense of humor. He is truly a marvel, and I want him to know that more than anything.

2 comments:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Allison, you truly are a marvel! I want YOU to know how precious you are to me. I wish I could take you out and play scrapbooking with you, and take pictures, and buy you snickers bars, and make it a day just for you from your Mom! You truly are amazing!!

kelly said...

i love this! what a wonderful quote.... it definitely makes you take a step back & re-asses.