Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Dinner

Every year (for as long as I can remember), my Grandma has had Valentine's dinner at her house. This is the first year that we haven't been able to go, and we definitely missed it. So, last night for Valentine's day, I tried to re-create it, using some of her recipes. I made her meatloaf with the ketchup on the top in the shape of the heart (I substituted ground turkey, but it was her recipe), her potatoes and cheese, and I even made her "heart beets" using a heart cookie cutter and canned beets. I was going to make a chocolate heart-shaped cake, and realized that we were out of baking soda. I couldn't believe it! My parents gave us a HUGE Costco-sized box our first year of marriage, and we finally went through it. I've been using it a lot for cleaning, so it makes sense. I really didn't want to go to the store, though, so we skipped dessert.











Well, I thought everything turned out well. It was my first time ever making meatloaf, and my first time in 7 years making potatoes-and-cheese, so I was pretty happy with how it all turned out. But, the kids weren't that thrilled. Adam loved the meatloaf, but refused to even try the potatoes or beets (why?... they are potatoes... he LOVES potatoes). Grace would ONLY eat the beets. She LOVED them! But, she spit the potatoes and meat out. And then dumped her plate on the floor. I'm not sure at all why she's such a skinny thing! :)



Overall, it was a fun dinner. Mike really appreciated it when he got home that night, anyway, so at least someone liked it. :) It definitely wasn't as good as my Grandma's, but it was fun keeping the tradition alive.

We had a great Valentine's day... hope you all did, too!

No comments: