Thursday, November 29, 2007

I've Got Some Serious Thrill Issues, Dude

I got a call from the pediatrician's office today, reminding me of Grace's 15-month-well-check tomorrow, and Adam's booster shots. At the same time. By myself (Mike's working). I laughed when the receptionist told me, and this line from Finding Nemo came to mind.

My kids do not do well with immunizations. To be fair, I worked at a pediatrician's office for two years, and most kids don't. But, my kids are a little more difficult. Grace literally gets a panic attack each time. The poor thing screams and then gasps for breath. Doctor's freak out, thinking she's had an allergic reaction. Nope... she's just a princess (she does this whenever she's in a lot of pain). Adam has already threatened to kick the doctor. When he got his 4-year-well check, they had to have 2 nurses (plus Mike) hold him down. It doesn't matter how many books we've read about doctor's or how any times we have sang "Just Say Owe and It's Over" he still hates them.

I must have serious thrill issues. I mean, why else would I have thought, "Hmmm... scheduling both appointments at once while Mike's working is a great idea! I need excitement in my dull life, and holding a panicked-non-breathing one-year-old on my hip, while holding down a screaming 4-year-old is exactly what I need!"

At least tomorrow won't be boring. :)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

What shots is Adam getting? When we took Hailey for her 4 year well check they told us no more shots until she was 11. Granted, she got four shots all at once, but I can't tell you how excited she was when she found out she didn't need any more for a very long time.

the W* family said...

He never got the varicella (chickenpox) shot when he 2, because I thought it was stupid. But, in Las Vegas you have to have it to go to school. So, he got the first dose at his 4-year, and he will get the second tomorrow. He's supposed to get the flu shot tomorrow, too, but I'm undecided on that. We'll see. Hopefully after tomorrow he will be done for a LONG time, too.

stacey said...

Hi, stalker cousin checking in. Allison, I found your blog through Mike's myspace page. Just checking in and saying hi. Your blog cracks me up.

Ashlynn and Coleton said...

Well good luck with that. I did took both my kids in once, at the same time, and swore i would never do that again. And I havent. By the way dont know if you got the memo that scott got laid off, but he did.