Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The W* Family Fasting Club

Adam turned 8 last month.

(I'm sure you all had no idea about that).

;)

In our family, we decided that we would encourage our children to begin fasting on Fast Sunday after they turned 8 years old. Awhile ago, we started talking about it with Adam.

He wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea.

Then he found out about a month ago, that not only could he not eat for 2 meals, but he couldn't drink, either (he must have missed that in the initial discussions).

And then he really, really wasn't thrilled with the idea.

In fact, he told me that that in this heat, if he didn't drink, he would surely die.

And that I was trying to kill him.

One day I was perusing one of my favorite blogs, 71 Toes, and read about her family's "Fasting Club."

I LOVED the idea.

(Which doesn't surprise me, because I pretty much love all of her, and her parents'-the Eyre's-, ideas. And books. And columns. And programs. But that's a whole different topic).

Anyways, on Saturday I sat down with Adam and told him that since he could fast now, he was officially a member of The W* Family Fasting Club.

You would not believe how jealous Grace was.

Seeing Grace jealous of the club he now belonged to, made him pretty happy.

We began our fast together Saturday night. On Sunday, as Grace and Josh ate, we went into my room and read scriptures together. We prayed together. Adam talked about his testimony.

It was so ridiculously special.

Yeah, he still complained a little. By 4:30 he was starting to get grumpy.

However, being a part of something really helped him, and made the experience more meaningful for all of us.

It was a really neat day.

I love new traditions.

And I love, love, love my Adam.

No comments: