Friday, May 7, 2010

Last Project of the Year!


Adam's project for May was on the rainforest. Each child drew an animal out of a bucket, and had to do their project on it. He got "Blue Bird of Paradise." We could find nothing specific on it at the library, zoo, bird store, etc. It was a difficult project.

I usually help him out with his projects, but this time, I wanted him to do it on his own. He chose to do a mobile. Designed it, put it together all on his own. He wrote out the facts, watercolored a bird, drew eggs, and attached it all to a mobile. It was simple, but it was what he wanted, and it was ALL done by him. I thought he did great for a 1st grader. He got a "3" (they do some kind of weird number system at their school) because it didn't have enough detail. A "3" is fine, he was fine with it, too. But, it bothered me a little because sometimes I think that the projects become a competition between parents when it should be the CHILD doing it. And if they were all completely child made, none of them would have huge detail. Oh, well.

We went down for his presentation, and he did GREAT! I love, love, love that he's giving presentations monthly. I personally hate public speaking, and he's learning to do it when he's young, and it's not even going to be a big deal for him.

For May/June, they were supposed to do a project on the Solar System, but his teacher decided to cancel it, and do in-classroom projects instead. He was so bummed, because he had been looking forward to it all year.

Me? I was a little happy, I'm ashamed to say... he had envisioned making the whole solar system, complete with zooming meteors.

Maybe we'll tackle that this summer.

1 comment:

Grammy Suzzy said...

I so agree on the grading thing! And I was there when you were in the hospital to witness the "child only" power point presentations and videos...huh. Adam, we all think you did a super job, especially with a more difficult to find information on animal. Wish I could have seen you...you did super on your Desert project!