Thursday, May 27, 2010

Brave Girl!

Yesterday, the apartment complex refinished our bathtub. Because of the fumes, they told us we couldn't be in our apartment for 6-8 hours.

And then I cried.

Seriously... nursing baby + a 3-year-old who loves public restrooms + not being able to be home all day and do everything I needed to?

They also told us that we couldn't use it for 2 days prior to the refinishing and for one day after.

But, our stinkiness issues are a different story.

I decided we would go to the mall. There's TONS to looks at there. It's air conditioned. They have a play area. I could bring snacks and we could eat them anywhere. I could bring my Moby and nurse him in it while we walked.

So we did.

Grace has been asking for a few months to get her ears pierced, and I had put it off. Yesterday when she saw a girl getting her ear's pierced, she asked again. I warned her (again) that it was going to hurt a little, and she said it was fine. So, we went for it.

My earliest memory is me at 4 years old getting my ears pierced. I remember sitting in the chair, the pinch, the smell, and walking out of Metrocenter in Phoenix cupping my hands under my ears, sure the earrings were going to fall out.

I remember trying so hard not to cry or yell. And I didn't.

Yesterday I watched Grace do the exact same thing. As they brought the guns to her ears, she pushed her lips together and looked straight forward. As it happened, a little tear started to make its way down her cheek, but she never cried or screamed or made a sound.

Brave girl!

The earrings look darling on her! She looks so grown up to me now!

And, no one will ever call her a boy again.

Well, hopefully. ;)

3 comments:

Kristi said...

She is brave! They look really cute on her.

Grammy Suzzy said...

Oh, Grace, you were so brave!! And look what you got...lovely earrings! You look so beautiful! (You were ALWAYS beautiful...but the earrings make it just more!) Papa and I are very happy that you were so very brave!!!

More News at the Funny Farm said...

So Brave, and tell her Aunt Sharynn was called a boy even into my teens. It must be the blonde hair!! But I just would tell them, but finally ignore them. I even went to wear bright colors and it still didn't matter!! Just take it in stride and I think it makes you stronger to always have to define who you are.
Sharynn