Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Baby Name

I have a name for the baby that I really, really love.

When I found out I was pregnant, I knew it was a boy. I just did. And I thought about all of the names that I've always liked for boys, and none of them seemed to fit. One name popped into my mind, though, and it seemed to just work for this little guy.

A month and a half later or so, while I was crying late at night and freaking out about how this whole thing was going to work out, I read one of my most favorite scriptures - Joshua 1:9. That scripture has helped me to get through the ups and downs of the past months.

And the book that scripture is in, is the same name that had popped into my mind at the beginning.

No other name seems to fit. I don't like any other names nearly as much.

Unfortunately, everyone else in the world (slight exaggeration), seems to really, really love that name, too. I don't have anything against super-popular names, but I don't really want him to be in a class with 5 other Joshua's in school, either.

Though Mike (Michael) is a pretty popular name, and he seems to have done alright.

So... he feels like a Joshua. I love the name Joshua. Grace has already re-named all of her babies Joshua.

Mike's boss really likes the name Joshua.

That shouldn't be a deciding factor, but, anything to get on his good side... :)

I just keep going against it because of the popularity thing.

But, I'm pretty sure that he needs to be a Joshua. So... eventually I'll accept that he will be known as Josh W. throughout elementary school.

And hope that it doesn't traumatize him too much.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Personally, I think you should name him Joshua. He won't always be the 5th Joshua in his class and even if he is, so what? If you love the name that is all that matters.

BTW, even though it is ranked 3 and 4 in the nation, it is 8th in Nevada and 10th in Arizona. Still pretty popular, but not as popular and the national average.

Tiffin said...

I think it's a great name! Good choice!

Grammy Suzzy said...

I LOVE IT! Hooray for Joshua!

More News at the Funny Farm said...

Hey, when I thought of Braydonn's name, I hadn't really heard of it. But when he started first grade there were 6 of them in first grade and 4 of them were in the same class. They all spelled it different. We even met up with one of them later in a different school, but by then he was going by Cole. So don't worry it all works out in the end. He hasn't met to many more Braydonn since then and now we do hear a lot of little boys running around and being called Braydonn (my spelling in unique, not so much because we like it but to kind of make it after me) Love, Aunt Sharynn