Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Thinking About Summer...

summer '08

Adam gets out of school in a little over a month. Crazy. I can't believe that soon I will have a first grader.

I've been thinking a lot about summer: what I want to do, how I'm going to keep Adam from forgetting everything he learned in the midst of the break, and the fun holidays.

I'm trying not to think about the heat, however.

We have no major vacations planned... Mike's job is too busy and we're trying to save. Sorry Phoenix fam. But, I would like to do some fun, little things as a family. Like camping and a day trip or two.

I'm getting kind of excited for summer, though, something that I doubt has happened before. I think it's because I miss Adam so much while he's at school and want to take advantage of our time.

This summer, I'm looking forward to:

-swimming
-Adam (hopefully) taking swim lessons
-the 4th of July
-barbecues with friends
-going camping together
-Grace being completely out of diapers (she's SO close!)
-play dates at the water park
-lots of library trips for reading material and storytime
-monsoon storms (the few we get here)
-hunting for cicada shells
-having some fun learning time everyday (colors/alphabet for Grace, reading/math/science for Adam)
-strawberries: eating them and making freezer jam
-picnics
-bug catching
-craft projects
-staying up late and watching movies together
-doing another ant farm
-participating in the Barnes and Noble summer reading program
-eating lots of basil dishes... I LOVE basil and our plants are doing great!
-Pioneer Day (if Mike gets the day off, we're heading up to St. George for the day!)
-Adam's Birthday
-Grace's Birthday
-early morning/after-dinner walks and bike rides

There will probably be some Lego Star Wars thrown in there, too.

:)

Adam has a lot left to do in this last month of school: 2 field trips, 2 projects, field day, tests, and homework (his teacher PILED it on this last month of school). So, I can't lose focus, yet. BUT, so excited that soon I'll get him all day.

Before having to let him go back to first grade all day.

:(

We're just going to focus on the fun summer part and not think about that yet.

2 comments:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Sounds like a fantastic Summer. I hope we can come up and visit! And I remember loving the Summer because all of you were home. I, too, missed all of you when you were gone during the day!!!

Tiffin said...

You are getting me excited for Summer!! I love having my kids home but have been worried about what to do this summer for fun.

We have a loooong break. They get out of school in 2 weeks. The new school doesn't start until Aug 31.
That's almost 3 1/2 months!!!!

Thanks for inspiring me!!