Thursday, April 10, 2008

She Likes Her Veggies Slightly Under Grown...

So, our new apartment has a cute 'greenhouse window' in the dining area. We were SO excited to be able to plant a little garden in it! Adam was especially excited to get started, but I didn't want to do it until I got unpacked (just so that I had some order before moving onto a big project).

We compromised by getting a few of the little pots with dirt and seeds in the dollar spot at Target. Adam got oregano, I got tomato, and Grace got green beans. We planted them last week, and Adam has faithfully watered them daily.

On Monday, we finally saw some green! And they've shot up to be about an inch tall since. He was SO excited (okay, I was, too... I love this kinda stuff).

Last night, though, while I was making dinner, Grace apparently got a bit impatient to eat. She ate our garden! I heard her choking, and turned around to see her sitting on the table, surrounded by dirt. She pulled up the greens and ate them, and then proceeded to wash them down with a bit of dirt.

Turns out dirt isn't so tasty.

After a quick call to Poison Control (I know, sounds paranoid... but I wasn't sure what was in the soil), I cleaned up the mess, and tried to calm down Adam. His plant was spared a bit (Grace is more into under grown veggies than the herbs, apparently). We only have a few boxes left to unpack (yay!) so we are heading out to Home Depot today to get some more seeds and dirt.

Sigh... at least I have a child that likes veggies. I just wish she liked them a bit more grown. :)

1 comment:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Oh, Gracie!! You are too, too cute! Thank you for bringing me laughter to my day! Even with a sore mouth, I just couldn't stop chuckling!!