Sunday, December 9, 2007

Scrapbooking

I LOVE scrapbooking! Seriously. I've been doing it since I was in 7th grade. However, when Adam was born, I stopped for a while. I was busy with him and then we moved to Flagstaff, where I was busy with school. I did a page once in a while, but nothing serious. Then, about a year ago, I looked at my photographs (each in little ziplocs, waiting to be scrapbooked) and I realized how much I had to do. It was overwhelming. Over the past year I've gotten my stuff out, been absolutely overwhelmed with how much I had to do, and put it all back about 10 times, without doing a thing. Well, no more. On Friday, I decided I would just catch up on Christmas. So, I got the pics out of Christmas 2004 and 2005. I would do 2006, but those aren't developed yet.

But ANYWAYS, I got up a few hours early Friday, Saturday and today, and I scrapbooked 11 pages! (11 pages for 2 Christmases... I'm in trouble :) ). I am so proud of myself for catching up a tiny, tiny bit. They are NOT the BEST pages and they certainly aren't winning any awards, but the point is, I've done them.

And the best part of it is, that it felt SO good to do something just for me, something I loved. I was a much better person because of it. I had more patience with my kids; I got the house cleaned in about half the time Saturday; when Mike took his 3-hour after-church nap today and left me with the kids, I wasn't as irritated as I usually am (hey, I'm NOT perfect), and I know it's because I took the time to do something for me. It's made such a difference. I was happier, so Adam and Grace were happier. We've all been happier these past few days. Seriously.

So, I'm going to encourage everyone who reads this blog (all 2 of you :) ) to do something for yourself. Get up a little earlier or stay up a bit later or Benadryl your kids at naptime (jk) ... just do something for yourself. I always thought I was being selfish before doing something for myself, like I was neglecting my family, but it's made a huge difference in how I feel and how I act.

Tomorrow I'll blog about Adam's Santa surprise and our Christmas cookie making. Until then, have a great day, and do SOMETHING just for you!

3 comments:

The Muhlesteins said...

The Benadryl comment made me laugh, My sister Tami just told me her Christmas Eve tradition... She puts bedadryl in the frosting of the cookies and lets her kids have some right before bed. They usually don't wake up until 9:00 on Christmas Day. I love it!!

Ashlynn and Coleton said...

You are to hilarious. I would do that but then i would be irritated that i didnt get it done. Again i am going to tell you how awsome you are. YOU ARE AWESOME!!

Amanda said...

I was just looking at my scrapbooking stuff today and thinking maybe I should get rid of it all since I never seem to have time to do it (which is odd since the kids go to bed at 8:00 and I am up until 11:30 after that). Maybe, I should break out the pics and the paper and get started again.