Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The First Day


Yesterday my mom returned to Phoenix. Today Mike went back to work.

It was my first day as a mother of three.

How did it go?

* Adam was 20 minutes late for school.

* Grace ran around naked until 2:30 this afternoon.

* Josh decided a moment that he wasn’t being held, was a moment that he needed to scream.

* Grace decided that the best way to act out about the lack of attention she was receiving while I nursed Josh was to stop using the potty. The first time she peed on the floor, I shrugged and told her to get a towel and clean it up. She then decided to up it and have “accidents” on things that would make me stop nursing and go to her immediately. Like peeing on a stack of bills. And the laptop.

* After she had an accident on the laptop, I swore. And now she knows a fun, new word.

* Josh peed on me 5 times.

* Adam came home from school extremely grumpy. After 2 hours of fighting him to do his homework, I gave up.

* Grace tried to help me out by pouring herself a glass of milk. Which resulted in a quarter of a gallon of milk spilled all over the floor.

* Adam punched Grace. I put him in time out. He told me that his Grammy is a much better mom than me. I cried.

* Josh needed to eat for a half an hour every 1 1/2 hours.

* I have 5 loads of laundry to fold. I don't know how that happened when my mom had all of the laundry caught up just 2 days ago.

* A sweet friend brought dinner over when I thought I was going to have a meltdown when I realized that Mike had to work until 10:00 and I was actually going to have to feed the kids. I will love her forever.

* She brought supplies for root beer floats. I let the kids have them even though they didn't eat a great dinner.

* Grace went to bed without brushing her teeth. After she had a root beer float.

* I'm up late feeling extremely guilty about the kind of mom I was today.

Not the greatest day. However, all three kids were still alive by the time Mike got home tonight, so I will consider it a success.

I am determined that tomorrow will be better.

I hope.

2 comments:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Oh, Allison...I am soooo sorry!!! And Grammy is NOT a better mommy. Remember, THREE kids is a big, big step!!Everyone says so! So, I think you did absolutely fantastic... Honey, I worked my tail off every day and night to barely keep up with you!!! You know I said that I could sleep through anything...that was because I was a corpse from the time my head hit the pillow...and that was two kids...no newborn...and not having major surgery one week ago. I say, Hooray for you!! You did a super job!!!! And if today is the same...it will be a super day too!!

More News at the Funny Farm said...

After a few years it becomes a blurr, but you remember those busy days and just laugh. That is the best thing to do when things go in a direction that you don't desire. I remember when Rollin would go out of town for a week and I would have all three, to myself. I would start to feel overwhelmed and I would get kind of mad at the kids. I discovered if they were happy it went smoother. So I would stop and play ball - roll it back and forth with songs or read or whatever. Then it would only take about 30 minutes of fun and they would be happy and I could get back to the day with less stress. When I nursed when they were really little was story time and the little one would hold the book and turn the page. Sometimes that works or an activity done just during nursing time. It will all go faster than it seems now and you will wish for those simple crazy days! Good Luck and take time out!
Love Aunt Sharynn (the one who remembers you when you were Grace's age - you were my best bud then)