Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Easter



I've been putting off this little Easter re-cap. Mainly, because traditions-wise, if it could go wrong it did go wrong. Fortunately, Easter really isn't about the traditions, so we did have a wonderful day celebrating the Savior.

But, here's some of the problems. Just in case you're curious:

- Grace's Easter dress got approximately 1/4 of the way done when my sewing machine quit working on me. It won't feed material through anymore. Mike told me to buy her a new dress, and Adam a new shirt, and I really, really wanted to... but we've been trying to be more thoughtful in our needs/wants purchases, so I decided Easter clothes were definitely a want and we did without.

- Adam came up to me a few weeks ago and told me that there was no way that there was an Easter bunny. He said, "Either it's a man dressed up in a bunny suit or a real giant bunny, and neither can be true. So it must be you. I want to know the truth." I decided I didn't want to push the issue, so I let him in on the secret. I threatened his life not to ruin it for his friends/sister. And he didn't. But, he did remind me approximately every 10 minutes who the Easter bunny was, and it kinda took some of the fun out of it.

- We had planned on celebrating Easter Saturday morning, and focusing on the Savior on Sunday. But, Mike had to be at work early, so that got nixed last minute, because I wanted him to be able to see the kids hunt the eggs/open the baskets.

- The Easter egg dyeing went great, and the eggs were beautiful. Except that the dyes got spilt, bled through the paper, and my table is now a fun shade of pinkish-blue. Which actually is fine, because it's more interesting now.


- I accidentally left all of the candy for the eggs in the car, and it melted. Even the jelly beans kinda bunched together. So, Saturday night, I sent Mike out for some more. While he was gone, I looked for our big box of plastic eggs. It was no where. Finally after much searching, I called Mike, who reminded me that we had donated it to D.I. months before, because it took up so much space, with plans to buy just a couple of packages around Easter-time.

It would have been helpful to have remembered that before 11:00 on a Saturday.

Because it's kinda hard finding plastic eggs the night before Easter.

Mike finally found some super-ugly eggs at the third store, and after stuffing them with new candy/hiding them, we went to bed at around 2:00.

- Adam woke up at 3:30. He may no longer believe in the Easter bunny, but he was plenty excited for the egg hunt and Easter basket. We told him to go back to bed. Instead, he came in every 20-30 minutes, asking us if it was time yet.

We finally gave up, and let the kids have their baskets and look for eggs.


It made for a very long Sunday.

Church was wonderful, though, and we tried to focus the rest of the day on the Savior, the sacrifice that He made for us, and the Resurrection. We are so thankful for Him.

That night, we had just a regular dinner (nothing special), but I tried to make a bunny cake for dessert. And it wasn't as cute as my grandma always made, but it was okay. When I went to slice it, I found that my sweet, German chocolate bunny had been doctored and turned into Vampire Bunny.


As you can see, while Adam added fangs, he also took the opportunity of tasting the frosting around the cake. :)

Hope you all had a wonderful Easter, too.

And that your Easter traditions worked out better for you than they did for us.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Tiffin and I were just talking today an wondering where your Easter post was. Sorry it didn't go as planned and that Adam is way to smart for his own britches. Hailey, to my knowledge, hasn't even questioned the reality of Santa or the E.B.

I'll bet you could ask around in your ward and someone would loan you their sewing machine so you could finish Easter clothes. If you were here I'd let you use mine.

Tiffin said...

I love hearing stories about your family! I'm sure you will look back on this Easter and laugh:)

Your vampire bunny cake looks so yummy. I've seen bunny cakes that are only frosted and covered with coconut. I love the idea of german chocolate cake!!! YUMMY!!!

Grammy Suzzy said...

Oh, you guys make me laugh sooo much! I am sorry about the sewing machine...but Dad loves a yard sale quest!! Oh, and where did you ever get pastel candy corn? I looked everywhere!

the W* family said...

I'm hoping to finish the dress with a borrowed machine, and give it to her as her birthday dress. So, I'm ahead in the birthday department. :)

As far as the pastel candy corn, at Sunflower Market, they had a big barrel of "Bunny Mix" that had all sorts of Easter candy.