Saturday, February 21, 2009

Art Shmart


To go along with the artist trading card swap that Adam is participating in (received his first card yesterday from New Zealand, by the way... very cool), I decided to take the opportunity to learn about art with the kids.

I've never been really 'into' art. I'm just far too left-brained to get it. It's the only class I didn't do well in, in school. Mainly because when we were told to interpret it, I could never get beyond what it literally was. You know? When I wrote, "It is a cow in a field," the teacher apparently wanted me to write, "The cow symbolizes the hope of the future" or something like that.

Seriously.

But, I decided I wanted my kids to be a bit more cultured than I am. Just a bit. Though I do think that Adam is even more left-brained than I am, so there's probably not too much hope.


Anyways, we checked out some fun books from the library, that I highly recommend (What Makes a Picasso a Picasso, What Makes a Rembrandt a Rembrandt, What Makes a Monet a Monet, etc.). And we've had a lot of fun learning about different artists and techniques.

However, Adam is a bit confused why there was no "What Makes a Bob Ross a Bob Ross" book.

You know the 'happy little tree' guy on PBS? Adam thinks he's the best painter ever.

Whatevs. Bob Ross is kinda cool.

Anyways, today we culminated our art learning with a trip to the Las Vegas Art Museum. Which I had been told was pretty lame. And was it ever. BUT, it was also super-cheap, so what can you expect?


The three of us had fun, though, critiquing the art, talking about how it made us feel, and wondering what the artist was thinking when he/she made it. At almost every painting, Adam would tilt his head and say, "Yeah, looks like a kid made it."

Which was fine, because most of it DID look like it had been done by a child.

And, of course, he was very disappointed in the lack of Bob Ross art.

He really, really likes Bob Ross.

4 comments:

Danyel said...

Adam and Grace look like they are having so much fun. I always thought that it was strange to go look at art.

Amanda said...

I'm the same way...I never did well in poetry, either.

Tiffin said...

You are such a FUN Mom!!!!

Kristi said...

I'm with Adam. Bob Ross is AWESOME! Who doesn't like happy trees?