Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Crock-Pot Love


I adore Crock-Pots. Which technically should read "I adore slow cookers" because Crock-Pot is a brand name, not an appliance.

Whatevs.

Anyways, I love, love, love my Crock-Pot. It's actually not something I used to use very often, unless a recipe specifically called for it. However, school/meetings/other stuff was completely taking up my time in the evenings, leaving me little time to make dinner.

Meaning we were eating lots of PB&Js. Which was fine for Adam, but I can only take so much peanut butter. You know?

However, now we are actually eating meals, because of this little beauty. Everyday I drop Adam off at school, come home and throw dinner in the Crock-Pot (I think if you capitalize 'Crock-Pot' using it is okay... maybe?), throw the dishes in the dishwasher, and when I come back that night, dinner awaits.

Sigh... it feels like magic.

Like in The Little Princess when Sara and Becky wake up to the Magic turning their room into a palace, and a warm meal. It's like I have my very own Ram Dass. In the form of a small, red kitchen appliance.

I love that book so much. I must read it to the kids.

And I'll begin reading it to them in all of the leftover time I have because of my Crock-Pot. (I so knew I could tie that all together).

Anyway, beyond dinner, I've been making copious amounts of Crock-Pot applesauce and Crock-Pot chicken stock overnight. Chicken stock to get ready for holiday cooking and applesauce for canning.

Or, canning was the plan, anyways. Unfortunately, the applesauce is just too darn amazing, and keeps getting eaten for breakfast before it makes it to the canning jars.

I'm not that upset, really.

It just tastes too good on oatmeal.

For more recipes try: A Year of Crockpotting. And for some great slow-cooker tips visit: Better Homes and Gardens.

No comments: