Thursday, September 24, 2009

Toast to Fall


As of late, this blog has not been very much fun.

That's mostly because as of late, I have not been a very fun person.

I am tired, stressed, grouchy, and in pain. I have a million things to do, and lack the energy to do even a fraction of them. And I spend a portion at the end of each day when the kids are in bed, when I'm exhausted and crabby and have laundry to do and dishes to wash, crying and feeling sorry for myself. And lamenting the fact that I'm no longer a fun mom. That I'm no longer a pleasant person. That I get angry over things that shouldn't bother me. That I don't have the energy to do everything anymore.

Mike usually comes in and tells me crying won't change anything and that things will get better.

And then I try and kick him. But, I never really do, because who has the energy to kick rude people anymore? ;)

Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to bring back a little of the fun person that I used to be, the one that disappeared 6 months ago or so, and we had a family party: a toast to fall.

I love fall. It's my favorite season, and the one season we really don't get here. It's the thing I miss most about Flagstaff. Grace and I tried to re-create it yesterday by throwing (fake) fall leaves everywhere, bringing out some Thanksgiving decorations, turning the A/C down, and having a special fall dinner (autumn sausage casserole, green beans, and cookies).


We had so much fun naming our favorite autumn things and toasting each one with sparkling cider. I think it's going to be a tradition around here from now on, on the first (or second, if I'm busy with Enrichment) day of fall.

And today, I feel much better.

Happy fall!

4 comments:

Tiffin said...

What a fun fall tradition!

Oh man, reading your post took me back to when I was pregnant with Emmalin. I felt like my house and my family were falling apart and all I could do was lay there on the couch and watch! It does get better though. We are so excited for your new little addition to arrive. It's not too far off :)

Grammy Suzzy said...

Hang in there, sweetie...you're in the home stretch. Being pregnant is no easy thing. I remember with Kayty and Nathan that I was afraid all of you would never ever have kids after seeing me on the couch resting and my less than cheery countenance. You did great, and what a great find in that recipe! I looked and looked, and finally made Hawaiian Chicken for dinner...so much for a Fall meal. Remember that you are loved by many and in our prayers, and when you are holding that sweet little guy, hugging Adam and Grace, it will all be worth it. And, as for Mike, do they teach these guys to say such things in priesthood??? I remember hearing the same thing!

Juice said...

Oh my gosh! I missed your posts - you crack me up! You somehow say exactly what I'm thinking in a much more humorous and smooth way. I love your humor!

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

So Sorry it's been frustrating:) We all understand even if husbands don't. Justin usually just looks panicked, like crap I don't want to say the wrong thing:)