Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January 2014 Scripture & Quote

About a year-and-a-half ago or so, I was praying about a problem, and a scripture came to my mind that brought me peace about the situation I was praying about.

It made me think about how many times a scripture or song was brought to my mind as an answer to prayer or when I was sad or discouraged.  Which made me think about the importance of memorizing scriptures.

So, I decided to fill my little punks' quick minds (which can so easily memorize every word to songs like "What Does A Fox Say" and "Radioactive") with scriptures and quotes that I adored, in hopes that one day they could be brought to the front of their minds when they needed help.

Last year, we recited our scripture and quote every night before family scripture reading.  They quickly memorized them.  At the end of the month, there was a small treat for those who could recite them to Mike and I.  We were amazed that even Josh picked up on them so easily.  I chose scripture mastery scriptures last year, and quotes I loved.

Our 2014 family theme is, "Be Kind."  So, all of our quotes and scriptures are going to revolve around kindness.  And, man alive!  Are there ever some beautiful scriptures and quotes about kindness.

January 2014 Scripture:
Ephesians 4:32 "And be ye kind one to another; tenderhearted; forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."

January 2014 Quote:
"Be kind; for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Ian MacLaren

1 comment:

Kristi said...

This is a really great idea! I had an institute teacher that told us that memorizing scriptures makes it easier for Heavenly Father to speak to us because we already know his words.