Friday, March 5, 2010

Mini Golf


About 2 1/2 weeks ago, we started a behavior reward system in our house. An idea that I totally stole from Adam's homeroom teacher.

In his class, they have an individual behavior reward system, as well as a class behavior award. I'm sure you've seen this around: good behavior in Adam's class results in a link on a chain that is hung from the ceiling. When the class does something wrong, they lose one. When it touches the ground, they get a reward.

I decided to do it at our house because I was sick of the whining and fighting. I also didn't like that I went to bed at the end of the day feeling guilty about getting upset 1,000 times that day, and not pointing out the good that was done.

So, I printed off a family reward, put it in an envelope and hung it up on our wall. When Adam wakes up well, when Grace eats her breakfast without complaining, when Adam gets a "Super Day" card at school, when Grace stays dressed, etc., they get a link.

And then they lose one for all of the wrong choices they make.

I keep a tally for the day on the fridge of all of the good/wrong choices, and we add/take off rings at the end of the day.

So far, it has worked really, really well for us. There is less fighting, less whining, and less disobedience. And WAY less tattling. They are in no way perfect, but things have been better around here. Plus, I feel better that I'm recognizing the good that they do, and not just the bad.

Anyways, the rings finally touched the ground, so we opened up the envelope. It was a certificate for glow-in-the-dark miniature golf.

We went tonight and had SO much fun!


Josh rocked the glow-in-the-dark socks. Blacklights are fun.

The Mummy

And a little cheating at the end. :)


The place had an Egyptian theme. Our favorite hole was one where a mummy rose up after a golf ball was hit under the tomb. Very spooky.

Mike won, but only because he wasn't holding a baby with one hand while chasing a 3-year-old in the dark.

Seriously... what's up with that? :)

We had a great time, and it was made even better knowing that Adam and Grace worked hard to earn it.

I have a bag full of envelopes now with various rewards. Some are big (kids meals at Burger King or bowling) and some are smaller (family movie night or getting to stay up an extra 1/2 hour). Part of the fun is in the surprise, of course. Adam and Grace are hard at work on their next chain, and I hope to keep it up for as long as I can get away with it.

Less fighting in the car (any way I can get it) is definitely a good thing. ;)

4 comments:

Danyel said...

Allison this is a great idea. It also shoes them that there is a reward for there good actions even if it does not come right away. Cant wait till I have children to use this. Thanks.

Tiffin said...

I love this idea! I'm totally stealing it! I especially like the thought of LESS tattling.

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

I love it!

The Petersons said...

Love this idea and your adorable blog! I hope when my kids are a little older I'll remember it so I can steal it too!