Tuesday, March 3, 2009

'Summer' School Project


Adam's school is project-based. And I have no idea what that means really, besides the fact that he has a project due every month. And I honestly don't know if that is an advantage or any different from other elementary schools.

But, doesn't it sound all snooty and pretentious?

"My son's elementary school is project-based and is modeled after the Montessori curriculum."

Saying pretentious things brings back all kinds of warm-and-fuzzy feelings of my snobby days.

Sigh...

Anyways, today he had a project due based on the seasons. He had to choose and research a season, write a poem about it, and create a 3-D project. He chose summer and wrote a super-cute poem:

Summer makes the world so hot and dry.
You see bugs crawl and you see birds fly.

Lots of kids come out and play in the pool.
Oh,
I love summer-because there is no school!

On each of the suns on his mobile is something that represents summer, with an explanation typed on the back (cicadas, reptiles, temperature, monsoons, and vacation). The projects have to be memorized and presented to the class. Grace and I went down for his presentation today, and he did a great job! We were so proud of him.


Okay, and yeah, I totally helped him with the poem and putting the project together. And that's probably horrid or something. But, come on! This school is filled with snooty and pretentious moms who do the projects completely for their kids (one boy in his class brought in a professionally-done PowerPoint presentation and a fish tank of water that actually rained). Seriously. And he really did do the the research, thought of the idea, and did most of the work. Really.

So, yeah, I pretty much feel guilty and am trying to justify it.

Justification is how I get through the day sometimes.

Especially when Adam has a major project due that we've procrastinated because I've been so seriously busy with church.

Or when there are chocolate chip cookies around.

4 comments:

Danyel said...

I think its great that you helped him. It showed him that 1) you love him 2)that school work is fun. More parents need to take the time to guide there kids in school (Not do it for them.) It lookes great and the pome is cute.

Grammy Suzzy said...

Allison, I am sure you just helped him be successful! I always wished I had those fancy projects in school...my parents both worked and there just wasn't time for them to give that much help. I remember when volcanoes were the thing with oozing lava (not that baking soda stuff). I was so jealous. You helped him be successful, and the more you do that, the more he will do on his own. Adam, you had great ideas and did a very, very nice job on your project!!

Amanda said...

I struggle with how much to help Hailey, too. I mean, do I correct her homework or let her teacher see where she might need some help? She hasn't had any big projects to do, but I have helped her with the ones she has had to do.

Of course, power point and making rain are a little over the top--especially for K.

the W* family said...

There was also a dad that when he dropped his daughter off for school, asked, "What are all these projects?" When someone said it is the project for February, he went home and did the whole project himself and brought it back to his daughter.