Sunday, October 19, 2014

Our Family: Week of 10/13-10/19

On Monday we made dinner-in-a-pumpkin.

Which was super-yummy, and featured a beautifully-decorated pumpkin by Josh.


Sam is a little apprehensive about the front porch step of ours.

He will sit there, back-up like he's going to go out, change his mind, and watch his siblings play outside once again.


I'm a big believe in the need for daring boys, so I hope he makes the plunge and dares to risk it soon.


Also, I may be reading w-a-y too much into his fear of that front step.

;)

***

On Tuesday, we painted our annual mini pumpkins (along with some Halloween wood cut-outs).

Everyone was so creative!




And, with Mike sleeping through this activity the past 2 years, man alive were we happy he was able to create with us.

***

On Wednesday I picked up a bunch of bruised apples that were .25/pound, and surprised the kids with homemade crockpot applesauce.


They were beyond excited to come home after school to that stuff.

They fought over every last bit, and believe it's the the absolute best thing on the planet.

Just like I always felt about my mom's homemade applesauce when I was a kid.

***

On Thursday we did some extra baby-sitting, and I watched Josh's best friend after pre-school.


That afternoon, Adam participated in his first cosplay seminar.

I didn't know what "cosplay" was before Adam chose it as his October seminar (an elective class each child gets to participate in each month).

And now I can't un-know it, people!


For those who don't know, it's (apparently) when people dress-up and act out as fantasy or science fiction characters... when it's not even Halloween.

He had fun making a costume with his friends.

Can't wait to see what he comes up with next week... though I think he is with me on the weird-ness of cosplay.

That evening Adam went ahead and ditched 11-year-old Scouts, and we all went as a family to Grace's volleyball game.

It was so nice to cheer her on as a family.



And the extra hands keeping this guy from crawling onto the court were pretty nice, too.


***

On Friday we baby-sat, went to football practice, and decorated pumpkin-shaped cookies.



My kids have a rule that says "You can never have too much frosting... or too many sprinkles."


***

On Saturday I finished up the last of the Halloween costumes, we went to Adam's football game, and then we went to a friend's Halloween-themed birthday party.


Unfortunately, it was 90+ degrees, so they lasted about 2 seconds in those costumes.




Come on, weather!  It's October.

And our brief stint in Flagstaff with a real autumn, has spoiled me forever.

***

On Sunday after church, we headed up to Mt. Charleston for some family fun in the beautiful and cool weather... and to catch a glimpse of the gorgeous fall leaves.

There is an awesome pasture in the forest, that made it perfect for some football tossing.

Sam was pretty un-sure about that pasture, though, so he stuck to his blanket.



My sweet kiddos picked me some flowers, as usual, and my heart melted.

As usual.

And then I yelled at everyone for not telling me how gray my hair was.


They all told me they thought I liked it like that.

Josh started to get cold a few hours later, so I tried to get a picture of the four of them before we headed home.


Well, I tried, anyways.



When we got home we whipped up some mummy mini pizzas, and enjoyed a cuddle on the couch while we watched a movie together, and talked about Heavenly Father's creations.


I am so thankful for the beautiful world Heavenly Father gave us, and that He gave us fall.

Even just spending a little bit of time in that forest with those leaves left us in awe.

No comments: