Sunday, August 24, 2014

Our Family: Week of 8/18-8/24

On Monday we woke up bright and early to take advantage of the cheap "early bird" bowling rates.







It's our little tradition to get us back into the routine of waking up early for the school year.

We all had a blast... most especially Josh (who now wakes up each morning requesting to go again).


And, not a single one of us picked up Grandma Wilkins' bowling talent:


We have fun anyways.

***

On Tuesday, we baby-sat for our friends all day long.

We whipped up a batch of my mom's famous wedding cupcakes (she had graciously sent us up a mix with Kayty).

They were delish.


Afterward, we played with play-dough.

They were all playing nicely, so I left to change Sam.  Adam had the camera, and was working on a "claymation" video.

5 minutes later when I came back, the camera was broken.

And I've never actually gotten what really happened out of anybody.

So, we are using our sometimes-working-cell phone's camera abilities until we can get a new one.

(Photos may be a little more sparse/blurry... but I'm grateful for it).

Apparently, my kids don't understand my need to photograph every mundane detail of our lives.

;)

***

On Wednesday we baby-sat again.

It was a really hard, long day.

At one point during each of my pregnancies I thought how fun it would be to have twins.

After watching two 7-month olds all day and two 4-year olds all day, I'm glad all my babies came separate.

;)

That evening, Mike gave to boys' haircuts, I gave Mike a haircut, and then (after months of Grace pleading) I cut 6 inches off of her hair.

If she only knew how long I had waited for that long hair!

It's too adorable to be too upset, though.

***

On Thursday we had Activity Days.

We talked about the new school year and being organized.

We made "To Do" jars.  Each mason jar is filled with sticks that the girls painted on one end, and wrote their daily responsibilities on the other.

When they get that job done, they can flip it over.

They (and my kiddos) had fun with it.


After Activity Days we raced over to the kids' school for Back-to-School night, where they got to meet their new teachers and see their classrooms.

They both adore their homeroom teachers already, and are excited for the new school year.

***

On Friday we baby-sat.

We will baby-sit every Friday from now on (which is good, because one of the boys I baby-sit is Josh's very best friend, and they need friend time).

Also, my big kiddos don't go to school on Fridays, so they can help.

;)

Afterward, we had fun getting some school supplies.

***

On Saturday morning we went did the yard sale thang.

My kids have heard plenty of stories from their grandparents and friends who have found glorious things at yard sales for a little cash.

All month they worked hard and earned money, so we could hit the yard sales.

We dropped Mike off at work, and headed out.

We had the best time looking around, and I loved watching the kids carefully spend their hard-earned cash.

Adam got a toy gun, Josh got a Hungry Hungry Hippos game, a lightsaber, and Connect 4, and Grace got some jewelry.

I found a set of Lincoln Logs.

We came home and we got the house crazy-clean... and then they spent 3 hours of blissful non-fighting happiness playing Lincoln Logs and Hungry Hungry Hippos.

It was heavenly.

That evening, we went shoe shopping.

Adam was very concerned we wouldn't get to it in time, but we snuck it in.

He found some shoes he loved.


Grace found a pair she really, really loved, too.  Unfortunately, she had a brand-spankin' new pair that Mike had brought home from D.I. in January.

So Adam offered to give her his remaining yard sale money so she could buy them.


It was the nicest, kindest thing... that he chose to do for the sister that he normally fight with 16 hours of each day.

Brought tears to my eyes.

Love him.

We finished with our pizza and a movie Saturday evening tradition, and headed to bed.

***

On Sunday after church we made our traditional "Back-to-School" dinner: sweet & sour chicken, rice, wontons & broccoli.

We had Father's blessings.

We read The Kissing Hand.

I kissed each of their sweet hands.

I got all teary-eyed.

We ate our "kissing hand" cookies.

Got backpacks and clothes ready.

And closed out our summer.

It was a hard one.

But, oh so good, too.

No comments: